Released on Feb 14th, 2019 Startup Canada announced that it will double down on programming for women entrepreneurs and employ a gender lens to the ecosystem and program development as it works to reshape Canada’s approach to supporting women-led startups, scale-ups, and small businesses.
Although there are nearly 1 million women entrepreneurs in Canada, only 16% of small and medium-sized enterprises are majority women-owned, and women own only 10% of high growth firms.
The week of International Women’s Day, Startup Peel will host a celebration breakfast event on March 4th at the Rose Theatre Brampton to support this initiative. The powerhouse presenters on the day will consist of:
- An Opening Keynote by MP Ruby Sahota
And the following #IWD2019Peel presentations:
- “Don’t Just Fall…Bounce Back! – Talking Financial Agility” — Jackie Porter
- “Common Challenges – What’s Holding You Back” — Preeti Malik
- “Your Tribe Will Impact Your Vibe” — Mandy Grewal
- With a Founder Spotlight on — Shaad Khan: TestOnNeed
A portion of the proceeds will go towards an up and coming Female Founder and every attendee will receive an event bag containing Jackie Porter’s Book – Single by Choice, or by Chance.
Since launching in 2012, Startup Canada has been one of the most influential and active voices for women entrepreneurs to government leaders in Ottawa, working alongside government and industry to advance conditions for women-led businesses to thrive. In addition to its advocacy efforts, Startup Canada champions women entrepreneurs through awards recognition, micro-grant funding, training, providing global opportunities, research, and the provision of tools and resources for women entrepreneurs.
As International Women’s Month approaches, Startup Canada in collaboration with the Business Development Bank of Canada and Intuit, and supported by a network of industry, government, and economic development partners, are raising the bar for how women entrepreneurs are supported in Canada, by:
- Announcing the 2019 Women Entrepreneurs’ Leader for Canada, a national digital program, and an online tool for women entrepreneurs;
- Funding programs for women entrepreneurs in fifteen cities across Canada, including training for girls between 12 and 16 years of age in Ottawa; and,
- Hosting a ‘Women Entrepreneurs on the Hill’ daylong program in Ottawa on March 20, 2019 to connect women entrepreneurs to decisions makers.
On March 20th, in celebration of International Women’s Month, Startup Canada, Startup Communities, leading women entrepreneurs, and government and industry partners will come together to celebrate the contributions and achievements of women entrepreneurs to the Canadian economy. Join us as we challenge Canada’s 2.3 million entrepreneurs to #BalanceforBetter to build a more gender-balanced world, to accelerate gender parity, and to unleash the economic potential of women. Learn more at StartupCan.ca/womensday.
Entrepreneurs across Canada can register for mentorship, training and networking events throughout March in their communities like the Startup Peel event
Visit startupCan.ca/womensday to learn more and sign up. Join the conversation using #StartupWomen and #BlanceforBetter.
For more information and for media passes for events throughout the day, please
See you March 4th to Celebrate International Women’s Day at the Rose Theatre Brampton! Connect with Startup Peel on Twitter and follow the hashtag #IWD2019Peel on the day.